July 13, 2010
I have always been fundamentally against the concept of the meatball. It all stems from my hatred of meatloaf. Yuck. Even the writing the word makes me gag. As a kid it was the only food I really refused to eat. It was also the one time I really remember my Mom and Dad taking a stand on me finishing dinner which led to a 3 hour stand off of me sitting at the kitchen table while everybody else was off doing other things.
I won. Because I hate meatloaf that much.
Yet there I was, with all this leftover beef from the 4th of July holiday and I decided that I wanted to try this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe I had been saving and then, on a whim, I decided to make Pioneer Women's meatballs.
And holy crap I love meatballs.
There amazing! Nothing like meatloaf! I can't believe that I went all of these years without having them!
Adapted from Pioneer Woman
-1 lb ground beef
-4 cloves of minced garlic
-3/4 cup Parmesan
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1/4 cup of milk
-1/2 cup of Olive Oil
1. Combine all ingredients (except the Olive Oil!) into a bowl and mix
2. Roll into 1/2 inch balls and put in the freezer for 10 minutes of the fridge for longer.
3. Get Olive Oil hot in a saucepan and fry those suckers brown over a medium heat. No need to cook all the way through, they will continue to cook when you put them in the sauce.
4. Let drain on a paper towel
5. Place in simmering sauce for the last 30 minutes.
A recipe given to me from Emily
An easy base recipe to play around with!
-1/4 white onion
-3 cloves of garlic
-2 28 ounce cans of tomato sauce
-1 small can of tomato paste
-1 1/2 cans of water
-Italian Seasoning to taste
-Sugar to taste
1. Coat bottom of pot with Olive Oil.
2. Saute onion and garlic.
3. Place tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water into a giant pot and bring to a boil. Add onions and garlic.
4. Simmer for a couple hours, sauce will thicken as it simmers. Add Italian seasoning and sugar to taste.