March 16, 2010
Here's another great (and healthy!) dish I tried via Emily (who also suggested the amazing chicken kiev!)
-2 lemons, divided
-1/2 cup olive oil
-4 large garlic gloves, pressed
-2-3 tsp dried oregano leaves
-3/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-4 chicken breasts
-8 petite red potatoes
-1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
-1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
-8 ounces whole mushrooms (The mushrooms were our favorite part! I will consider adding more next time!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Zest one lemon to measure 1 1/2 tbsp zest. Juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp juice. Combine zest, juice, oil, pressed garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Place chicken on glass baking dish (the largest one you have...this makes a lot of food!). Brush chicken with portion of the lemon juice mixture.
4. Cut potatoes in half or into small, bite size pieces. Cut bell pepper into 1-inch strips, cut strips in half. Cut onion into 1-inch wedges. Thinly slice remaining lemon. Combine potatoes, bell pepper, onion, lemon slices, and mushrooms with remaining lemon juice mixture in mixing bowl; toss to coat.
5. Arrange vegetables around chicken on pan. Bake 30-40 minutes hour or until chicken and is no longer pink in center, brushing chicken and vegetables with pan juices after 30 minutes.
*The original recipe called for bone in chicken breast, baked at 400 degrees, for an hour. I am not a big fan of bone in chicken so I used boneless chicken breast. Probably suffered a little on the taste side...but at least I wasn't biting down on little bits of chicken bone all through dinner!
**The original recipe derives from The Pampered Chef